Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Wal Mart

Lets play a game. The first person who does not understands this situation wins.

For two days I was to work at a local Super Wal Mart store near Zebulon, NC. Everything is going great with people buying items and I’m keeping everything filled up with an occasional check on the toy department for Christmas shopping. (Safe than sorry.) Monday morning at 6 AM I receive a phone call from my supervisor to remove a weekend display from the front of the store by 8 AM. No problem, I just grab a pallet jack and within a few minutes everyone is happy.

Then reality sets in rather quickly. Which display? I called back my supervisor to find out which one to which he wasn’t sure himself but would try to get the merchandiser for that store to clarify which one while I would ask the store personnel the same question. So at 6 AM in the morning I find the night time manager who didn’t have an idea what a weekend display is which led me to the store receiver who played dumb and told me to wait for the Grocery Dept Manager who was coming in at 7 AM. By 7:30 I learned that the Grocery Manager called out sick but as luck would have it, the Store Manager and Assistant Manager both show up for work at the same time. Oh the joy.

So I see both the Manager and Assistant Manager who both knew what a weekend display was but had no idea which one until they did a store walk at 8AM. To put it simply, I cannot use a pallet jack after 8 AM in this store, The Manager and Assistant Manager have no idea what display needs to come off the floor until they do an 8 AM store walk with their checklist of approved display list, a list she was not allowed to show me unless my display was still on the sales floor after 8 AM and no one else in the whole store does not have an idea what the person in the next department is doing or required to do.

Meaning at 8 AM if the Manager sees the display on the sales floor, my company could and would lose the opportunity for future weekend pallet displays in all Wal Mart putting me in hot water with my boss and his boss and my boss’s boss boss. You get the idea. I’m screwed over more than the San Francisco treat. And at 7:50 my supervisor calls. The display to which I was supposed to remove from the sales floor by 8 AM was never placed on the sales floor. So he basically told me I didn’t have to worry about it. And 15 minutes later the Store Manager and Assistant Manager walked by and as they were looking at their notes, told me the weekend pallet display was never placed on the sales floor because the Wal Mart Grocery Manager left early Friday and never informed anyone were to place the pallet.

This was one of those rare moments of my life that my contemplation of thoughts was greatly enjoyed.

No comments: