Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Thundercats 2011 - Personnel Review

After watching the one hour premiere Friday night I was full of mixed feeling as were my two sons who kept asking many questions. As I grew up watching the original series and I have to admit that I judged this show based on that which led me to feel as if monkeys were writing the script to this show. 


The art work was way above most anime shows being produced by Cartoon Network or for that matter on other  network shows like Disney or Nickelodeon. It's as if they actually hired someone who could color within the lines and not Photoshop half the work. The voice actors were an even more perfect match with the exception of Mumm-Ra's voice. At one point I actually thought he was going to break out in a song and dance number by the way his voice kept reminding me of  Disney's Phineas & Ferb show. The original voice actor Earl Hammond performed Mumm-Ra's voice to the point that a kid would keep the lights on during the show for safety especially from listening to his evil laughing or chanting his name for all to hear.  A voice that sounded like it truly came from a nightmare. The final scenes of the original Thundercats episodes called 'The Evil Harp of Charr-Nin' and Pumm-Ra' says it all on why Mumm-Ra was the cartoon bad guy of the 80's.


A few more nit-picks such as the gem in the Sword of Omens belonging to Mumm-Ra is laughable. If this show takes place many years after the original series ended then how can Mumm-Ra own a gem that come from another planet the Thundercats were originally from? And acting like there is no such thing as technology when the original show was loaded with it. Even the original Lion-O went into outer space in a few episodes. But the real knife-to-the-back feel came as to watch a weaker Mumm-Ra. Sunlight weakens him as he acts more like a stereotypical bad guy one sees on any other typical cartoon show. 


Overall its like watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes but with lizards or Dragonball Evolution with cats. I will keep watching the show as long as I can stomach it but it feels like I ask for a Pepsi and Cartoon Network gave me a Diet Coke. 


Artwork: A+
Characters: A+  (if Snarf speaks B+)
Voice Actors: A-
Script: D
Story: C-

No comments: