Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

CBS vs Captain Kangaroo

CBS is, again, redoing their morning news show for what appears to be a growing tradition with the network. link here. But no matter how many times they change the covers, to a lot of people close to my age, it will still fail. No matter how many people, celebrities or special features, there are people who remember what CBS did to kill many small kids’ dreams.

 I, as many other kids before me, grew up watching the only morning kids program show at the time called Captain Kangaroo. It was always the main topic at school as we talked about all the skits, ping pong balls, Picture Pages and other different parts of the show we enjoyed watching. This was a time long before the internet, computers in every home and for that matter, cable TV.

 It was a wonderful time but soon CBS made changes in 1981 that to this day they have never accomplished. In an effort to compete with NBC and ABC for broadcasting morning news had moved The Captain Kangaroo show to 6 AM and shortened to only 30 minutes. It was difficult for many kids my age to even get up that early in the morning but many of us did. I remember being half asleep in front of the TV set watching the show as afterwards I got ready for school and spent most of the morning trying to stay awake.

Eventually CBS cancelled the show all together as they began broadcasting nothing but the news. I cried as did many other kids. We had nothing to really watch in the mornings now. Just PBS programs that even older kids thought were for preschool kids. Life went on for me and everyone else but for me I never forgot what CBS did to me. I and many other people have been carrying a grudge against the network for many years. Just look at the network ratings. Always last behind NBC and ABC and they will always be last for many years to come.
The Death of Captain Kangaroo - Jan... by videohollic

No comments: