Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Surviving Military Target Practice


The following is an actual true story. From a different point of view.

Waking up from the hospital bed after a quick and unexpected surgery is one thing. But being surrounded by military personnel in a hospital gown is another. I checked myself to see the damages were all repaired in my right arm and left leg as I also check to see if my man parts were still attached. With a sigh of relief a nurse came over to see if I needed anything. To which I replied that I needed to go to the bathroom.

She helped me to the porcelain throne where I did what I mainly do most of as afterwards she helped me back to my bed. An NCIS agent enters the room wanting a full detail report of what happened that caused me to nearly get killed on base. Getting comfortable in bed I proceeded to tell a tale that is the god honest true from my point of view. Setting up his electronic recorder to record my testimony, I began my journey down memory lane.

That morning was like every other morning. Marines are up by 5 AM ready to go on three mile runs before breakfast. Afterwards it’s training and office work till lunchtime. It’s usually MRE’s, Meals Ready To Eat if your platoon is too far the mess hall. Then more work until that evening where everyone was pretty much finished for the day.

Being on base and heading out to one of the training areas on the far corner of the base, I was very careful to stay aware of the road signs so as to not windup in the middle of the target practice field. A tree had collapsed from the storm that night as it had crushed a sign post. With no road marker I simply followed the route I normally follow when I am in this area.

I reduced the speed of my vehicle to prevent any accidents. Soon I noticed more trees had fallen. I took the road that I believed to be the correct path. Noticing another vehicle in the area and upon meeting up with it I soon found that my worst fear had been realized. I was in the middle of the target training area.

The whistling sound of incoming is always a sound that you feel at the bottom of your gut when you are at the receiving end of that sound. And I was definitely feeling it. I exited my vehicle and ran. The car I parked next to was obliterated as mine was laying in the crater where the other car once was.

Not having time to fully check if I was injured or not as more sounds of incoming artillery approaching all around me, I simply ran for my life. After that barrage, I heard whistles and horns being blown as the sound of men running towards me gave me the reassurance that everything was going to be all right. That is until I saw my bloody leg and shoulder.

Very quickly I was surrounded by Marines as they quickly proceeded to treat my wounds. I felt at ease as they worked to ascertain my injuries and call in to arrange for medical assistance. The last thing I remember before passing out from the pain was a tourniquet placed on my leg as several Marines started to carry me to the hospital.

The NCIS officer then surmised that with the damaged caused by the storm led to me winding up as target practice. As the officer was preparing to leave, the nurse enters to inform me that my boss has been notified of what has happened as my family was preparing to visit the base to see me. The NCIS agent was puzzled by this and asked if I was a Marine or not and what was my purpose for going to that part of the base.

I then casually said that I was a pizza delivery guy who was bringing an order of pizzas to a unit for their lunch after their target practice games.

No comments: