Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Living Gets Better

For a while now I have been participating in a class reunion of sorts. Running into people that I went to Elementary and High School and finding out many interesting things. Some of which I already knew. A quick back story is that I wasn’t the most popular guy in school. More precisely is that I was bullied a lot all throughout my school life with the exception of 12 grade. But that’s due to the fact I almost killed a bully on the last day of school in the 11th grade. But that’s another story.

 But getting back to the main point here is that I learned that most of the people I went to school with are dead now. Mostly involving the predictable reasons with that being drugs, alcohol. I saw one old bully from high school at a gas station. He looked like he needed a bath, glazed eyes, and couldn’t finish a sentence until he remembered what he was talking about all the while referencing his time in jail. He was the poster boy of drug use. Many of my former bullies that are still alive are living this way. One of them has a very difficult time staying married while decorating his entire body in tattoos.

The other day I had to go to school for my son. I met up with a woman I was in elementary school with who kept apologizing for all the treatment I went through school. I have to admit that I don’t remember everything that happened to me in school but that’s mostly due to me having to mentally block out a lot of ‘stuff’ I went through.  The bad part of it is that I couldn’t block out the rest of it. But over the past few days I was able to see and hear many events that has happened to so many people I went to school with. Many of my former class mates turned out OK; hard working people with a decent family life.

I will never go to class reunions or hang out with anyone I went to school with. There are a couple of them I see from time to time which is great but with so many other people that treated me like bug crap can know that I didn’t commit suicide, become an alcohol and drug user, go on a mass killings spree of old enemies or live in misery and grief all these years. It’s not that I didn’t care how I was treated or was inspired by one of those ‘love thy fellow man’ speeches taught in church every Sunday. I just didn’t see any of them being involved in my life after graduation.

So I grin and bared it all those years in school, living for the day that I will enjoy a better life than my teenage life. And I have done that. I traveled to different countries as well as across America. I lived a wonderful life and have been blessed with a great family. School only gave me a document to get a job. From their I met a better class of people. 

No comments: