Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Breaking for Radar


If doing what I did is wrong then I don’t want to be right.

Coming home one day I had the honor of having someone tailgate me for almost the entire trip home. I say almost because at one point this person almost had a really bad experience with a special toy of mine. I live just outside Wendell, North Carolina. As I journeyed through the town heading for home, the person tailgating me made every effort to make me feel like I was having a prostate exam.

As the evening convoy of cars was making their way out of Wendell on a road that has a few impassable curves for about half a mile before opening up to a nice long straight road, the tailgater was defiantly making plans to pass me as soon as the road straightens out. And being so close behind me I was able to see the radar detector on the dash board. With my special toy, a radar gun by my side I planned to see what little fun I could create, if any at all.

Sure enough the road straightens out and this car engine came roaring aloud as it began to make its way into the next lane to pass me. I was already driving faster than the posted speed limit but this person was planning on driving at NASCAR speed. With radar gun in hand I pressed the trigger and witnessed an event that could only be compared in a Wile E. Coyote cartoon. I only wished that I had video recorded it.

There were many cars all traveling together with me leading the way out of town. As the road opened up to a straight line, the tailgater began to pass me. As the car began to along side of me, I pressed the trigger to send out a signal. I could see the lights on the radar detector in this car lighting up as I myself began increasing my speed. For that matter all the other cars behind me began to move up closer thinking that this tailgater was going to go forward, not backwards.

When the person driving this car detected the radar signal panicked. The car swerved a bit and began to get back behind me but couldn’t quite do it as the other cars had already closed in. This person realizing that it couldn’t pass me since I was already driving faster than the posted speed limit and figuring I would be the one getting the ticket. Nor could this person go back into the correct lane due to all the cars closing in to prevent this. Pressing on the radar gun again led to a rather noisy ending. The tailgater in the wrong lane ended with the driver slamming on the breaks.

This person basically slammed on the brakes hard. Looking through the rear view mirror, I could see smoke everywhere as this lone tailgater was now maneuvering to the back of the line. I made it home safely know that someone somewhere was mystified as to why there was no police car in sight. 

And hopefully to stop tailgating.

No comments: