Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 10, 2011

My September 11th Story


September 11, 2001

Another boring day at work. I left for work while my wife took care of our 22 month old and seven month old boys. At the time I was working in the Dairy Department for Food Lion in Zebulon, North Carolina. As I was filling the milk case a customer came by to tell me a plane just hit a building in New York City. A little doubtful at first but then another customer said that he had heard the same thing.

I got out my cell phone to call my wife to see if she could check the news for any info. As she changed the channel I could tell by her silence that something wasn’t right. I could hear her speaking Japanese as she was by now crying. She calmed down to tell me that it was a huge airplane had gone into one of the Twin Towers. Very quickly she screamed out followed by more crying.

 By then I’m walking to the front of the store to see the manager. My wife composed herself to say she just saw on TV another plane flying into the other Tower. I told my wife I had to hang up as I informed my manager what I just heard and he made a phone call to get more info. A couple of minutes later it looked like a store meeting in the front of the store as nearly all the employees and customers were trying to get as much info as possible.

The manager got off the phone asking if anyone had a TV set that they could bring to the store. I told him I did and I can have it here quickly. He told me to go get it and not to clock out. I drove home fast as I listened to news reports of the Pentagon being hit. I was moved to tears. When I got home my wife was camped in front of the living room TV crying her eyes out as I ran past her to get the small 13 inch TV set. Before I left I hugged her and the boys as I told her that everything was going to be OK. She knew as well as I did that I was lying.

I got back to the store and quickly set up the TV to the store intercom, broadcasting throughout the store of everything happening. Customers were coming in just watching the events on TV unfolding as employees came up front to look as well. After a while it was like a ghost town in the store. People were either at home or in the cars listening. Even the most macho of men in the store were crying. The store manager went to a Roses store at the other end of the shopping center and came back with an American Flag to hang in the store window.

People began to talk about going to war and killing those behind the attacks, so much so after seeing many Middle Eastern countries celebrating these attacks. News channels were showing Palestinians cheering, dancing and praising the terrorist. To this day I still think of Palestinians as terrorist supporters. The video images and the way they still act constantly prove me right on this. And these so called ‘friends of America’ give wonderful speeches on how they support America but then they go before the people in their own county to chant for our destruction as they continue supporting the terrorist financially.

 As the President spoke to the Nation that day, nobody was shopping, for that matter doing anything. Nobody talked. Everyone just stood there listening to every word that then President Bush was saying. After the address everyone just looked at each other as the store became alive with nonstop talking about getting those behind these attacks. That afternoon it became very busy as people were stocking up for the long haul. No telling what was going to happen the next day and for that matter the rest of the week. Even employees were setting aside food in the dairy cooler. A few days later one of the grocery stockers quit to enlist into the Army. Couldn’t blame him seeing as everyone wanted to join the service.

As I made it home that night my wife was talking to her family in Okinawa. The most populated American military personnel area outside of America. Every military base on the island was on red alert as every local Okinawan was scared that they could be the next target for the terrorist. But my sister in law said that even as many military vehicles were moving around the island, knowing the situation, many Okinawans were just as mad as the Americans and just as patriotic as well. Scared and ready to do what was needed.

My wife and I hugged for what felt like an eternity, going through many emotions as we watched the images on TV. The next day we drove for nearly the whole day trying to find a place that sold American flags. Department stores like Wal Mart and Target placed signs on the front entrance saying they were out of stock as did grocery, hardware even toy stores were out of stock. Luckily we went to the mall and found the local newspaper stand had a special edition of the newspaper printed with an American flag covering the whole center page. The front window of our house as with many other houses had this newspaper flag hanging up on it.  

The day started out as a carbon copy of the previous days but ended totally different. The events ten years ago made me more aware of whom we call friends and enemies. It made me more patriotic and determined to make this world safer for my family and others. The end of the world is changing. Before there were world wars as all nations fought one another. Then it shrunk down to a few countries fighting each other that lead to just individual people fighting one another.

The danger of this is the technology has gotten to where one person can carry a weapon that causes more damage that what could have been done years ago. The Cold War was scary but predictable. Neither side wanted to die but the each side played their parts. Now it feels like World War Three where individuals are willing to die in killing others who are different to their own belief and lifestyle. I saw countries like Spain surrender to the terrorist after they experienced their own September 11th. But there are many other Nations that still stand by America. Nations of different faiths, laws cultural differences and lifestyles realizing that if the terrorist win, we could lose more than the freedoms we so much enjoy.

No comments: