Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 13, 2010

$200 nap

I just spent one of those quality time events with my wife. I willingly sacrificed a whole day of watching my entire DVD collection of Hogan’s Heroes to experience something totally unheard of. Spending $200 for a short nap.

My once in a lifetime trip started very eventful, picking up another Japanese friend of my wife and driving about an hour to Durham, NC to meet with another Japanese lady who was going to drive all of us to Winston-Salem to attend a $100 per person - 2 hour psychic workshop. And just getting to this place almost sent me to the sprit world.

This wonderfully nice Japanese lady has a really bad way of driving. No matter the speed limit, she would drive at least 15 to 20 miles faster than the posted speed limit. And she lives on a very curvy road. And once on highway she really flew down the road. Literally. For at times I thought the van was truly off the ground which would have been a lot better experience seeing as how she didn’t understand the concept of driving straight. For flying down the road doing about 80 MPH she would move the steering wheel to give the effect of being on the TV show ‘Deadliest Catch’ during a storm. I just sat in the back seat and kept my eyes glued to my cell phone watching You Tube videos while my right hand held on to the door handle for dear life.

I would go on about her driving but I’m starting to get sea sick just thinking about it. But as we arrived at this psychic workshop I was amazed at the participants. All Japanese speaking women. And to add to the enjoyment of being the only guy attending a Japanese psychic workshop given in Japanese is to say that it was the only best part of the day. That and making it home alive.

I won’t go into too many details such as coloring pictures, breathing in special water and lip balm, stretching exercises due to the fact the highlight of the event was yet to come. Near the end of the seminar we all proceeded to lie down and take a nap. I found out later that I was the only one in attendance who was able to release a lot of bad karma from my body by doing one simple thing while I slept. I Snored.

Needless to say as we all head home I kept my cool, calm demeanor as well as what I had left in my stomach on the ride back to the place my van was then drop off another lady on our way home to where it was just me and my wife, who knew it was quickly approaching. We practically said the same thing at the same time. $200 for a %&#@ nap. I vented it all out and by God my wife knew I had to get it out right then and there and just helped me get through it. I said nothing of ill will towards her or the other ladies who were there just comments on what the seminar was like and the way the Japanese lady was driving.

We arrived home just before our kids got off the bus to where I proceeded to keep myself in my bedroom with junk food and a certain DVD set and tried to put the whole day behind me. But in all I did it not for myself but for my wife. We spent time together doing something she wanted to do and to be part of her life rather than sitting on the sidelines. She had a great time at this event and knew the mental sacrifice I made to be with her. We bonded a lot closer and realized one thing about our relationship. A $200 nap was worth it for the long run. For now I don't want to talk more about it.

I earned as the saying goes ’a lot of brownie points’ that I plan to cash in over the summer time.

No comments: