Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wreck-It Ralph personnel review


Well after weeks of being bugged to death to take the family to see this movie, I finally said yes to my wife. It didn’t take much to convince our two boys to want to go as I myself was looking forward to seeing a few old game characters I grew up playing. And I must say, after almost spending nearly $70 on tickets and food, it was well worth it.

The main deciding point for me was that John Lasseter, the man who gave the world Toy Story, was the executive producer of this movie. And I could definitely see the PIXAR magic sprinkled throughout this wonderful feature film. The first clue was that with this being a Disney animated movie, the Broadway tunes were left out. Remember the Mulan musical number “I’ll Make a Man Out of You”. A Disney anime movie with a high death count as everyone is running around doing a musical production number.

The second one was a very believable story line that wasn't dumb-down too much. Disney movies were getting to the point to where you could predict what was going to happened next. A few low jokes sprinkled throughout the movie to kill the boredom but predictable no less. This movie though was somewhat predictable with a few low jokes. Mostly the 'duty' jokes which I do admit were funny. But the predictability of this movie was similar to Japanese anime movies in that life is not a fairy tale movie with happy endings. People do die, get hurt or are and remained scarred for life.

One of the closing songs was a song called Sugar Rush by a Japanese group called AKB48. 48 girls ages 13 and up who are right now very popular in Japan and other parts of the world to Otaku fans and pedophiles. Many of these girls after graduation from this group simply disappear or they find their way into the adult entertainment business in one form or another. The song was great to listen to but as I am in my mid 40’s, I do not wish to be associated with the types of fans that follow these young teenage girls.

This movie is worth seeing. The story development between Fix-It Felix Jr. and Sergent Tamora Jean Calhoun is very entertaining, especially the Nesquiksand scene. The bug infestation scene near the end of the movie was a bit scary for one little girl I saw and heard in the movie theater but she quickly got over it by the end of that scene. The movie did end with a Disney style happy ending but not without the sense that one day their game might be unplugged. 

No comments: