Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Sometimes the thorns are worth it

To me there are three ways people acquire great blessings throughout their lives. They go through much hardship and are finally rewarded; it is given from the blessings of others or it is easily given to them only to later pay for it at another time. With me, I went through hardship of my gallbladder surgery in July, 2010 due to complications relating to an almost induced heart attack as well as waking up during surgery. That left me out of work for weeks and using up all my future vacation time. But that hardship would be rewarded better than I could even imagine.

 When I was able to go back to work, I found out that I qualified for short term disability. I had all the forms completed and turned in to the corporate office but never heard anything else from them. Then one Saturday afternoon I’m talking with my supervisor and the topic of my upcoming vacation time was brought up. Questions on if I still had it or not was discussed but he promised to look into it for me. And late Monday morning he called me to deliver surprisingly great news.  

Apparently the paperwork did go through and I was going to be able to use my last vacation week. And that’s not all. My gallbladder adventure took place during my scheduled vacation time in July and as a result, I was getting that vacation back. The only problem was that I have to use it before the end of the year or I would lose it. And seeing as my last vacation begins just before Christmas left me with little options. Luckily I was able to get the week before my upcoming vacation starts which produced a two week, back-to-back vacation. But it comes with a catch.

I have to return to work on December 24th.  Yes I will have two weeks of non-stop TV and internet odyssey without having to deal with the madness of Christmas shoppers. Women camped out by the meat department talking about that one relative they dread seeing every year while trying to get a cheap turkey as with the family reunions of an assortment of people taking place on the very grocery isle I need to work on. During their conversation they practice the ability to avoid the fact that I’m standing right behind them. But once they realize that I am really enjoying hearing their conversation, they leave.

Although I would say having my wife begging to go shopping every time an advertisement comes in the mail is very tempting in wanting to return to work.  

No comments: