Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Surviving Christmas Eve


Well I survived the Christmas shopping days. There is nothing better than watching people shopping like it’s the end of the world. Grocery stores and department stores closed for one day has turned normal people into crazed lunatics. Shopping carts of food loaded down with enough supplies to last for weeks. And their driving habits are to die for.

As I’m working department stores and grocery stores I take 30 minutes out of my busy day to grab something to eat while sitting in the company truck while listening to Christmas music.  During that time two cars at different times, both driven by women, nearly collided with me.  As they backed away from my park truck, not once did they remove the cell phone from their ear. Not once did they even mouth the words “I’m sorry”. But they clearly understood the words I was mouthing to them.  

But the fun continued on through the day as I was working my last store at closing time. A store that for the past month and ½  has posted on the door the closing time on Christmas Eve, 6 PM. As I am walking out the door at about 5:50 PM there was a caravan type atmosphere of cars entering the parking area. Dodging an army of lost shopping carts left by the previous hoarders, they circled the parking lot as sharks onto a lost surfer.  

Before I could even make it to the truck a car broke off from the pack and followed me like the character Jason from the Halloween movies. As any vendor will tell you, after a long day when you’re getting in your vehicle to go home, you just want to relax a bit. To unwind and reduce as much work stress as possible before going home to one’s family but not that night.

This person made it clear that he wanted my parking spot and was very helpful in letting me know that it was safe to leave. Using the highlight beams from his car, the turn signal and the fact that as cars were coming and going in other parking areas, he didn’t move a bit. He eventually gave up though as a patrol car clearly motioned for him to move. As he left , I started up the company truck and pulled out as another person quickly took the vacant spot.

But by then it was too late. The store was finally closed. A long line of customers checking out with a long line of people standing and staring at a locked door in a weird and demonic way felt good. Heading home I had dinner, checked my emails, set up the satellite box to copy some shows and then I took a nap. Afterwards as the kids finally went to sleep, we did what all parents do and got the livingroom ready for the next morning.

By morning the stress of the holiday shoppers was far from my mind as Christmas day was filled with more important feelings than the image of a man begging to get into a closed grocery store to buy a turkey for Christmas dinner. 

No comments: