Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Working the 4th of July



















If the end of the world were to take place in a few days it is a sure bet the first place people will go to is the grocery store. The planet will disintegrate into a million pieces but not before we stock up the fridge. I had to work during the Forth of July Holiday and I have never seen the likes of people shopping except in times of blizzard or hurricane. These people were buying drinks and foods as if they were having a cookout for the entire state.

I only wished the Masked Magician was there to explain how so many 12 pack drinks kept disappearing. I loaded up a cart with over 100 12-packs on it and rolled it to the drink isle. I then left the cart and walked over to check a few pallet displays to see how they were. When I came back, the cart was nearly empty. And after many days of long hours with little to no break I am finally glad this holiday is over.
Luckily I was able to get home just in time to take my family to see the fireworks at the local baseball stadium.

My kids love parking along the roadside along with other family as we all listen to the game on the radio, drinking drinks while chatting away about the good ole days. When the game is over and the lights go out, it’s as if time has stopped and all eyes are to the sky. No matter how old one gets it is still pretty cool to watch. The down side was that we didn’t get home until nearly midnight when I had to be at work by 6 AM.

And now on my day off I shall treat it like the directions of a shampoo bottle. Sleep, turn over and repeat. No more listening to customers asking questions only to hear the answer they don’t want to hear. Going to the back room to look for a certain drink package that you know is not there but you do it anyway because you can stop off at the water fountain or go to the bathroom, then go back out to the customer to tell them you’re out of it and it that it might be on the next day’s delivery.

No more dealing with shopping carts lined up on the drink isle with customers staring at you like a junkie looking for a fix. Having to fill up a section of drinks only to see that particular customer, who you know who has been watching you, come by and take everything you just filled up while you’re in the backroom. Then has the gall to not only ask for more but to apologize, when we both know it is a fake apology, for taking every last package off the shelf.

These next few days I shall truly enjoy my day off knowing that if it wasn’t for those customers helping to support the economy by keeping the stores from closing down and other companies from downsizing; I might not be able to support my family as well. And to them I am very grateful for their business. Yes on my day off when I take my family shopping, I may very well be that customer. But with a little more respect towards my fellow venders and merchandisers.

No comments: